skip to primary navigationskip to content

EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Future Infrastructure and Built Environment: Resilience in a Changing World (FIBE2)

Studying at Cambridge



How to apply

Admissions for the MRes+ PhD programme. 

The MRes+PhD scheme is a 1+3 years programme. The FIBE2 CDT studentships are fully-funded (fees and maintenance) for eligible students. Further details about eligibility and funding can be found at:

UK students are eligible for funding from EPSRC  However, it should be noted that the admissions and funding application process is highly competitive. Please note projects for the Research Themes are still being finalised and will be advertised in due course. Please continue to apply for the MRes + PhD programme.

Please also see 

Who are we looking for?

Who are we looking for?

  • Successful applicants require high level engineering or science skills. We welcome candidates with a background in any engineering discipline (civil, mechanical, chemical, manufacturing, electrical, information and others) or relevant science discipline (including materials science, earth science, environmental science, computer science, mathematics, chemistry) as well as other relevant disciplines including architecture and project management. Some applicants may have industrial experience.
  • Students are expected to have an upper second class (2.1) or first class honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent standard from an overseas university.
  • Candidates must have completed a four-year degree or a three-year degree and a Masters course. 
  • Entrance is competitive and successful applicants are likely to have high academic achievements.
  • Funding (fees+stipend) is available to students who are eligible for ESPRC awards. However, the programme has some flexibility and discretion to support the very best students (1 student per intake) wherever they may come from (EU, international or otherwise) so there may well be opportunities arising for those individuals who would not normally meet the eligibility requirements for EPSRC funding. 

The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive
and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity. 


Why should you apply?

Why should you apply?

  • You will be exposed to  the broad field of resilient infrastructure.
  • You will learn from and work with leading industry figures.
  • You will become part of an active and diverse community of academics, post-docs and graduate students within the University
  • The MRes year and its associated modules provide context for a range of professional, commercial and personal skills training while the MRes research project forms the start of the PhD study. 

  • The 4-year MRes + PhD course promotes technical, personal and professional resilience and leverage significant input and involvement with academic, research and industry staff with a wide range of expertise.
  • On completion you will have expert knowledge in the area of Resilient Infrastructure relevant to your research project


MRes + PhD

Step 1:  Apply using the University Applicant Portal

Apply through the University on-line system selecting the FIBE-CDT course code: EGEGR3. For further information on how to apply, please see 

Applications are dealt with on a first-come, first-served basis. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply early to ensure the highest chance of success. Please note that we require a full application (including references and all supporting documents) before we can consider the application.

EU and international students applying for funding, please note the funding deadlines. 


Step 2:   Interview for a place on the programme

Successful candidates whose experience and qualifications meet the entry requirements and objectives of the Centre will be called for a panel interview in Cambridge or via Skype. Potential projects will be discussed with the candidate and feedback will be provided regarding the availability of specific projects and suitability of candidates to specific projects. 

Receiving an offer

Decisions for candidates eligible for EPSRC studentships will be made as soon as reasonably possible after the interviews. 


Industry + MRes + PhD

Admissions for the I+ programme for an October 2021 start are now open, with the MRes+ PhD programme starting in October 2022

Students who wish to apply for the Industry+MRes+PhD (I+) scheme must be eligible to work in the UK. Please read the Home Office's website for further information.

The I+scheme will be considered on a case by case basis and will be dependent on the individual project and sponsoring industry partner whether it is available. An applicant must be eligible to work in the UK to be considered for the scheme.

Applicants should apply through the normal process but indicate on their application form that they would be interested in the I+scheme as an option.

Your application will be assessed to identify if your experience and qualifications meet the entry requirements and objectives of the Centre. If there is a potential match, you will be invited to attend and interview (in Cambridge or via Skype). A face-to-face interview will involve panel interview(s) and a tour of the facilities.

You may also have an interview at the appropriate Industry partner. Please note that each Industry partner will run the I+ scheme in a way that best suits their requirements. 

Studentship funding decision

Funding decisions for candidates eligible for EPSRC studentships administered by the CDT will be made as soon as reasonably possible after the interviews (normally within 3-4 weeks). 


Frequently asked questions

  • I am not a UK resident. Am I eligible to apply?

You can apply regardless of nationality or residency.

The UKRI has confirmed that international students (EU and non-EU) will be eligible for all Research Council-funded postgraduate studentships from the start of the 2021/22 academic year. The text of the August 2020 public statement is here

Each Research Council DTP or CDT within the UKRI will be able to offer a limited number of studentships to international students; funding will cover fees at the UK rate, and a stipend to support living costs. UKRI funding will not cover international fees but universities will be given the flexibility to meet the fee difference through other sources.

Please note that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights (under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively), and Irish nationals living in the UK and Ireland (whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved under the Common Travel Area arrangement), will continue to be treated as Home students for the purposes of Research Council funding through the DTPs and CDTs.

  • Am I eligible for EPSRC funding?

Eligibility for EPSRC Funding is dependent on your residency status, please see below;

UK Nationals - UK applicants that have settled status in the UK and have studied or worked in the UK for the past 3 years are eligible for full fees and stipend.
EU Nationals - due to the EU referendum, please see this link
Non-EU applicants - Non-EU applicants that have settled status in the UK and have worked in the UK (this does not include full time education) for the past 3 years are eligible for full fees and stipend.

For further information on eligibility please see the EPSRC website.  

  •  Do you have other sources of funding?
The University of Cambridge has several sources available. Please check their website.
  •  My background is not in civil engineering. Can I still apply?
Candidates are likely to have a civil engineering background although students from cognate engineering or scientific fields will be considered too. A good foundation in engineering is important.
  • What are the minimum requirements for the FIBE-CDT  programme?
Students are expected to have a 2.1 or a 1st class honours degree from a UK University or an equivalent standard from an overseas university. 
  • How would I determine the equivalent grading standard for my university/country?
If you have not studied in the UK previously, please check here whether your qualifications are considered suitable for entry. 
  • My first language is not English, what do I need to do?
If English is not your first language, please refer to the University's Competence in English page for further information. 
Please note that the Department of Engineering does not allow students to be referred to the University Language Centre.
  • I have already completed an MRes degree, can I only attend/register for the PhD years?

This programme has an integrated MRes year, which students must complete. It is not possible for students to register for the PhD years only. Applicants wishing to begin study at the University of Cambridge with PhD should refer to the Department of Engineering pages for details of direct entry to PhD study.

  •  Does the programme accept self-funded (scholarships, other University and/or governmental funded) students?
Yes, the programme considers students who have funding from other sources.
  •  Students in the UK and consequences of Brexit


Already from the EU here in the UK before 31 December 2020

Those already in the UK will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021. This is free. Depending on how long they have been in the UK, they will get settled or pre-settled status and the right to remain here for work or study.

Arriving in UK from 1 January 2021

If you plan to arrive in the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards, you will need to apply for a student visa if you are studying a course which is longer than six months in length. 

You will need to complete an application, pay an application fee (£348 for students), and have a current passport or other valid travel document.

Most people will be able to complete their application, including identity verification, using a smartphone app. If you can’t access the smartphone app or you don’t have a biometric passport, you may need to go to a Visa Application Centre in your country. 

You will also need to pay a fee called an Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service. Students receive a 25 per cent discount on the usual cost of this surcharge. Details of costs will be available shortly.

You will be able to apply for a Student visa up to six months before your course starts. 

The visa is not yet open for application. Please check GOV.UK  for updates and more information. 


The UK government has officially confirmed that the European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss students will lose their home fee status from the autumn of 2021 onwards. (The ruling is for courses starting after 1 August 2021).

Remember that it only affects England for now. (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will make their own official announcements for the 2021-2022 academic year).

This new policy won’t affect:

  • EU/EEA and Swiss students who are already studying in the UK
  • EU/EEA and Swiss students who will start studying in the autumn of 2020
  • Irish students who live in the UK or Ireland
  • EU/EEA and Swiss nationals who benefit from Citizens’ Rights under the EU-UK Withdrawal AgreementEEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement. Follow each link to learn more about the agreements and if they apply to you. You can also contact the university where you want to study and ask them for additional information.

To further clarify things:

  • If you’re from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, this change will only affect you if you enrol at a UK university in 2021 or afterwards.
  • If you enrol in 2020 or if you’ve started studies in 2019 or 2018 but will finish in 2021 or later, you will not be impacted. You’ll pay the same tuition fees as agreed initially, and you’ll still benefit from the student loan.

Post-study work visa for new international students